Too good to be true

"Mom! Look at that! We have to get one!" I was on the edge of the couch watching a very effective infomercial about a vacuum cleaner that could clean anything.
"Nah, we don't," my mom's indifference astounded me. I mean, had she even been watching? That vacuum was freaking awesome.
"If something seems too good to be true, it probably is."  my mom offered to my utterly shocked, 8 year old face. It was an expression I would hear her say many times during my childhood and it came again to my mind today.

I was reading a headline about a YouTube star who surprised her fans by being human and fallible. After a quick glance, I could see why- she's gorgeous, her hair is perfect in every photo and apparently she lives on the set of a photo shoot for a magazine. "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is." The phrase pushed it's way from the recesses of my brain and made itself known. "Heh, yeah." I chuckled to myself.

So why do we do it? Why do we make each photo, each comment, each update look better than reality? And why oh why do we believe the photos, comments, etc that are better than we know reality to be? I don't know. But I am grateful for a mother who reminded me that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Comments